Sunday, June 20, 2010

I Can't Believe It's Already Been 2 Weeks!

Hey All,

I wanted to write a blog to keep you updated on how my summer is going :) My internet access is limited so it will be sporadic. To get to Virginia I first flew to Washington DC and hung out with my friend Caroline for a few days which was great. I then took a greyhound from DC to Virginia which was quite the experience. As soon as Caroline and I walked into the bus station I knew I was in for an interesting ride. My parents warned me about the characters that take the greyhound but I thought they were just being over the top. Now, I know different. I was freaking out because I had no idea who I'd sit by if I had to sit by someone. Thankfully I got a seat to myself and arrived safely.

Everyone here is really nice and wants to grow closer to God. I really enjoy my roommates which has been such a blessing. Allison goes to Western Michigan, Allie goes to Michigan State, Megan goes to Miami of Ohio, and Lori goes to University of Detriot Mercy. It's crazy because Megan is actually really good friends with one of my sorority sisters, Anna. There are a lot of people here who I have random connections with which is fun :)

The first week was lots of orientation and job hunting. I got a job as a hostess at a hotel resturant. It's fun because my roommate Allison got a job there too as well as a few other girls from project. We also work with other college aged girls and a few international students as well. I'm hoping that if they decide they need another waitress I can volunteer. I like my job but its tiring because I have to stand on my feet for 6 or so hours straight without much of a break. I think I have a cute uniform though. Its a blue polo, khaki shorts, and gym shoes. I either work from 6:30 am till 11 or 12 or 11 till 5.

Then, we have different night activities. Monday we have evangelism training and women's time. This monday, we have a special women's conference to celebrate being women. We get to dress up and have a nice dinner together. Tuesdays are bible study night. Wednesdays are date night with Jesus. That means we have 2 hours to do whatever we want with Jesus like read our bibles or pray, sit, run, anything. Then we have prayer and praise after that to come together to worship. Thursdays we have our weekly meeting where we are encouraged to bring co-workers and people we meet on the beach. Friday night we have off which is nice. Last friday I got to play baseball, soccer, and frisbee which I loved. Saturday we have a group dinner and then we share on the beach for an hour or so. Sunday is church and then we get together in ministry teams. Also, on my day off of work I meet one on one with a discipler where we talk for an hour and share for an hour.

Before I came I was very skepticle about sharing. And I still am a bit skepticle but I've also seen positive aspects of it. This is how it goes. Partner up. Walk the beach/board walk. Spot your prey. Approach them and say, "Hi, my name is Lizzie. I am here for the summer with a christian college ministry and I was wondering if you would mind taking a survey with me." If they agree you move on to step two. If they don't you say "have a great night" and walk away. Step two: Go through the survey. There are a couple options. If at the end if they answer they want to know God more or want to know the Good news of the gospel we have a cute little booklet that I call the bible in spark notes. After you go through the gospel they have a chance to accept Jesus as their lord and savior. Some do, some don't.

I am still iffy on all of this but I'm coming around. One girl even prayed the prayer with me which shocked me b/c I stumbled through the whole booklet. I talked to my mom about it and she told me that God uses people as hunters and farmers when it comes to evangelism. Sometimes to go straight for the kill and other times to nurture the growth and move on and its all up to God whether he wants you to be a hunter or a farmer in each situation. Somehow that makes sense to me.

Thats all for now if you made it this far!
~Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment